Jan 2023 Ladner classes
Please visit Ladner Village Arts & Crafts to register.
Date: Saturdays, Jan 14 - Feb 25 (no class Feb 18)
Time: 1:30 - 4pm
Mondays, Jan 16 - Feb 27 (no class Feb 20)
Time: 6 - 8:30pm
Location: Ladner Village Arts & Crafts, 4907 Chisholm St, Delta V4K 2K6
Come and learn the basics of creating with clay! You will learn three hand-building techniques (pinch, coil, slab) that you can apply to making your own masterpieces during the six weeks of this course (and beyond!). Previous class participants have made mugs, candle holders, bowls, planters, trinket dishes, shelves and boxes! What will you make with your new skills?
(If you have already been on a beginner's course, you are welcome to come and carry on creating and treat the instruction sessions as "open studio" time!).
Learn about using forms (wrap and drape molds) and adding texture to pieces with stamps, applique and carving. You will also work with underglazes and glazes to decorate your pieces further. The firing processes (bisque and glaze firings, which are completed off-site) will be explained as will studio processes (safety, wedging and reclaiming clay).
The first two weeks of this course contain instruction and demonstration, so please make every effort not to miss these 😊
In-progress projects can remain in storage cubbies at the venue, and completed creations can then be fired. If pieces are not dry enough to be fired by the end of the course, these can be collected afterwards.
You will need:
- A 25lb bag of clay
- A complete tool kit
(If you have leftover clay and a tool kit from another class, you do not need to purchase these again).
You must bring your own apron, hand-towel and mask (for everyone's safety).
You are welcome to purchase and bring your own tools, but they must be as below:
- 8” Wood modeling tool for clay - Shaped at both ends and designed for use with soft to leather hard clay.
- Stainless steel, kidney-shaped scraper. 3 3/4 x 2" (9.5 x 5.1 cm).
- Serrated, stainless steel scraper. 3 3/4 x 2" (9.5 x 5.1 cm).
- Clay carving tool with a sharp double-edged arrowhead knife and an incising pin set in a hardwood handle. 6" (15.2 cm) long.
- Small rubber kidney for clay - 3 1/2" x 2 1/4" (9 cm x 6 cm).
- Wire clay cutter - with 22 gauge, braided, stainless wire fastened to wooden toggle-type handles. The crimp resistant wire is 17" (43.1 cm) long.
- One round yellow pottery sponge.
- One small, soft make-up sponge.
- One 1/4” flat head paint brush with a long handle.
- Two large plastic bags - at least 12” x 20”, (thick freezer plastic - 4 mil - not ziplock).
- Plastic wrap to keep your projects protected whilst "in-progress"
- Wood boards to work on
- Rolling pins, banding wheels, paddles, rasps, forms and texture tools
- Glazes and underglazes