Sept '23 Tsawwassen Class
Date: Tuesdays, 12th Sept - 7th Nov 2023 (no class on Oct 31st). 8 classes.
Time: 6:00 - 8:30pm
Location: The Red Barn at Southlands Tsawwassen - 6333 Market Avenue, Delta V4L 1M9
By popular demand, this course has been extended and now offers you eight weeks of hand-building bliss!
Come and learn the basics of creating with clay! We will teach you three hand-building techniques (pinch, coil, slab) that you can apply to making your own masterpieces during this course (and beyond!). Previous class participants have made mugs, candle holders, bowls, planters, jugs, trinket dishes, shelves, boxes, and dinnerware! What will you make with your new skills?
You'll learn about using forms (wrap and drape molds) and adding texture to pieces with stamps, applique and carving. You will also work with underglazes and glazes to decorate your pieces further. The firing processes (bisque and glaze firings, which are completed off-site) will be explained, as will studio processes (safety, wedging and reclaiming clay).
The first two weeks of this course contain instruction and demonstration, so please make every effort not to miss these.
Masks are welcome, but not required. We kindly ask that you stay home if you are feeling unwell. Thank you 😊
There is no storage space provided at this venue. Advice will be given about how to store and transport in-progress projects and clay to and from classes.
You will need:
- A 25lb bag of clay
- A complete tool kit
(If you have leftover clay and a tool kit from a previous class, you do not need to purchase these again).
You must bring your own apron, hand-towel, and trays/boxes for transporting your work.
You are welcome to purchase and bring your own tools, but they must be as below:
- 8” Wood modeling tool for clay - Shaped at both ends and designed for use with soft to leather hard clay.
- Stainless steel, kidney-shaped scraper. 3 3/4 x 2" (9.5 x 5.1 cm).
- Serrated, stainless steel scraper. 3 3/4 x 2" (9.5 x 5.1 cm).
- Clay carving tool with a sharp double-edged arrowhead knife and an incising pin set in a hardwood handle. 6" (15.2 cm) long.
- Small rubber kidney for clay - 3 1/2" x 2 1/4" (9 cm x 6 cm).
- Wire clay cutter - with 22 gauge, braided, stainless wire fastened to wooden toggle-type handles. The crimp resistant wire is 17" (43.1 cm) long.
- One round yellow pottery sponge.
- One small, soft make-up sponge.
- One 1/4” flat head paint brush with a long handle.
- Two large plastic bags - at least 12” x 20”, (thick freezer plastic - 4 mil - not ziplock).
- Plastic wrap to keep your projects protected whilst "in-progress"
- Canvas covered boards to work on
- Wood ware boards
- Rolling pins, rolling guides, banding wheels, paddles, rasps, forms and texture tools
- Glazes and underglazes
Not provided: trays or boxes to transport your work
Already completed one of Sizer Studios beginners courses and want more?
There are spaces available to come along, work independently and treat these classes as an "Open Studio" at a reduced rate. You will still have access to all tools, forms, texture tools, underglazes and glazes.
Please click HERE to register.
Group classes not for you? Contact Fiona to discuss other options!
***You will be asked for your shipping address during checkout - don't worry! Nothing is being shipped and you won't be charged for shipping. Your e-mail confirmation is your "ticket". If you have ordered clay or a tool kit, it will be available to you at the venue***
A big thank you to our sponsors, Southlands Tsawwassen & Southlands Grange Centre for Farming and Food, for allowing us to use their beautiful venue!